December 30th, 2020
Gurmur will have a new friend...
So, whenever I wake up tomorrow I'll close the iPad open beta and
click on some buttons to release the iPad version on the App Store.
I'm also tinkering with the next version and there will be a new
boss. There will be other things as well that I won't tell just yet
but one of the things that will happen is that I'll take a look at
the Epixx.org highscores some time at the end of January, and the
top players will end up being listed in the game before the highscores
are reset (only the best entry for each name is listed).
Cursed Scroll of Time Warp will no longer reset the turn counter
in 2.05 and in order to start the final battle, you will have to
finish Gurmur and this new boss, and something else I won't tell
December 11th, 2020
Release date for iPad...
So, the latest build (201206) was accepted to the App Store and
I'm planning to release it on December 31st. It may take some time
to process it but it should be available on January 1st, 2021.
November 19th, 2020
iPad open beta...
I finally joined the Apple developer program and uploaded my first
iPad build to see how things work there.
Now I could use some feedback and for that I'm running an open beta
starting today and ending on December 31st, 2020. If you would like
to try the beta, launch Safari on your iPad and click on the
The link takes you to a page where you can install Testflight, which
is Apple's beta installer app, and it should then be able to install
Rogue's Tale on your iPad.
If you have any questions or feedback about this, please contact
support at epixx dot org.
October 31st, 2020
Change log 2.03 (200912) -> 2.04 (201031)
- Added curio vendor in the Market Quarter that allows you to spend
card dust on various items.
- Added a bag of transmutation and some transmutation recipes for the
owners of The Hoard DLC.
- The amount of card dust is now stored in Steam and shared across all
characters, offline or online.
- /mrgsteam command works with cards now and they can be restored just
like heritages and challenges.
- Added a touchscreen user interface (can be enabled in the settings).
- Reduced the amount of extra gold in chests and skull piles by 50%.
- Charisma popup now shows values based on charisma instead of stamina.
- Scroll of Teleport should no longer allow intimate relations with
boulders or other objects.
- The Curve Ball challenge should no longer trigger if Melee/Thrown
weapon is used in melee.
- Hotkeys no longer work while inventory is shown (and it shouldn't
be possible to shapeshift while dungeon merchant is identifying your
- Cursed rings and amulets are now excluded from the collector heritage
- Fixed various creature spawns that caused them to become invisible
(too many creatures at once).
- Once player has defeated Bebe le Frog, any further playthroughs will
skip the "tutorial" card battles.
September 12th, 2020
Change log 2.03 (200907) -> 2.03 (200912)
- Added "Friction" rule to the card game.
Friction increases card cost by 1 when the card is played and it is
removed at the start of the next turn. This was added to prevent
infinite turns that certain 0 cost cards could do.
September 7th, 2020
Change log 2.03 (200831) -> 2.03 (200907)
- Added a refresh rate selector in the settings that defaults to 30.
There's 4 possible values that can be given, 20, 30, 60 and 120. Changing
the refresh rate higher or lower can change the speed of the game slightly
depending if there's enough juice on the rig. This used to default to
whatever your monitor supported (60 in most cases) and if things feel
slower than they used to, change the value to 60. I probably wouldn't
use 120 even on a gaming rig just to save penguins from global warming
but it's there anyway.
August 31st, 2020
- Added a new quest, boss and a challenge.
- Increased the health of almost all quest bosses.
- Ursus Horribilis should now unlock with humans only.
- Upgraded Wand of Channeling should now work in the card game.
- Game sounds should no longer play if the player is deafened.
The card game was played through so fast that I decided to add a new
challenge in the game. This challenge involves starting a quest at or
below level 5 and then surviving 30 dungeon levels without toilet
breaks before being crushed by the new boss, named after the player
that crushed the card game first.
I can tell you that this challenge is not casual content. You will
need most heritages unlocked, you will need to milk everything out
of Woof and you will need truckloads of skill and luck to survive
(knowing every detail about various items doesn't hurt either).
The quest dungeon is crumbling and once you go down a level you can't
come back up but there is a merchant at every 5th dungeon level that
can identify items for you. That is assuming that you can keep
the merchant alive because they don't have any henchmen with them.
Unless you start the quest with a scroll of time warp, there is no
way to return unless you defeat the boss (who just happens to carry one).
Now what wouldn't I do for the 0.1% of the 0.1% =)
p.s. If you get this down in two days I'm going to cry...
August 21st, 2020
Change log 2.02 (200531) -> 2.03 (200831)
- Added a new way to die horribly.
- Illusions can no longer be cloned (and crash the game).
- Mother of Drakes challenge should now unlock correctly.
- Auras that kill something should now redraw the area.
- Face Muncher should no longer unlock with non-humans.
- Mixed weapons (melee/thrown) can now be used to unlock The Curve Ball.
- Cheesy Musk description now tells that it doesn't work with spells.
- Fixed a map generation bug that could place an item in a chasm.
There's a collectible card game in the game now and playing that may end
up killing you horribly. You may ask what does a card game have to do with
a roguelike game and to be honest it's just as big a surprise to me as it
is to you. Sometimes things just happen and this time the game had a
surprise pregnancy that resulted in a weird offspring.
July 15th, 2020
So, what's up...
Well, there will be a new update at some point later this year.
I'm not sure when exactly because it is somewhat large and a lot
of stuff is still required. This is just a heads up because I will
have to test it in Steam at some point and when I do, I will also have
to add all those ~250 "things" that can be unlocked and then it
would be obvious that something is going on.
The update is for the base game and if you happen to have it then
all you need is a few hundred hours to unlock everything.
May 27th, 2020
Change log 2.02 (200501) -> 2.02 (200531)
- Certain random levels such as mazes are now limited to small map size.
- Added a new talent that can be learned by drinking a Cursed Potion of Literacy (*).
- Added a new heritage related to this new talent.
- Changed graphics setting from "super-duper-high-quality-for-no-good-reason"
The graphics quality setting of the game engine was apparently set to
bananas and by setting it a little lower two things should happen on
most computers: it should run smoother and it should run cooler
(fans should make less noise etc).
(*) Note that it's been possible to bestow curses on items for quite
some time now and it hasn't been mentioned anywhere (whoopsie, the secret
is out now).
Oh, and if you do drink one of them potions, try to have one extra
talent point because one of your talents is forgotten and if you don't
have a spare talent point, your build could go horribly wrong. At the same
time make sure you do have at least one talent known because the potion does
not work unless it can remove a talent.
April 30th, 2020
Change log 2.02 (200416) -> 2.02 (200501)
- Added a tip of the day to remind about /mrgsteam command.
- Removed some other tips of the day that were no longer relevant.
- Added a new tutorial entry that tells about the chat button.
- Added visual aids for some tutorial entries that shows where to click.
- Fixed a bug that prevented some tutorials to trigger at the earliest possible time.
- Changed the "rest / use stairs" mouse click area over the player (see the image below).
- Mouse cursor now changes slightly when it is near the player to hilite the click area.
- Added a touch screen user interface for mobile devices with 4:3 resolution (rhymes with my pad).
- Added a new implementation of the game manual for said mobile devices.
- Fixed a typo in one of the failed rest action texts.
- Repelling Smite no longer attempts to push back corpses.
I know that UI changes can be annoying and mouse is accurate enough to
hit the player without the extra space around. If this change makes it
too annoying to play with a mouse, I'll change it back or add an option
to use either. At the moment I'm just trying to find a balance between
mouse and touch UI and try to keep the code purdy.
April 16th, 2020
Change log 2.02 (200414) -> 2.02 (200416)
- Ctrl + left click now stores all gold coins in the player's inventory.
- Fixed a bug with the enchant window that made the choices invisible.
April 13th, 2020
Change log 2.02 (200408) -> 2.02 (200414)
- Added Chinese translations for 2.02 texts.
- Changed /presteam command to only work in normal difficulty.
(sorry about that mr. future ingame boss themed around casual old fart)
April 8th, 2020
Change log 2.01 (200308) -> 2.02 (200408)
- Added a new quest and achievements related to it.
- Added a new shapeshifting talent and heritages related to it.
- Added support for 3:2 screen resolutions (1920 x 1280 and up).
- Fixed some particle effect scaling issues in various resolutions.
- Fixed a spellbook refresh issue with amulets and bound spells.
April 7th, 2020
Something bad is coming your way...
When you are stuck behind four walls for a month and the world
has gone full bananas, this is what comes out of it. Looking at
the bright side, 2.02 is right around the corner with some new
content for The Hoard DLC owners.
March 8th, 2020
Change log 2.01 (200307) -> (200308)
- Winter Helm should now show the correct graphics.
- Fixed mouse right-click handling over effects, health bar and status bar.
March 7th, 2020
Change log 2.01 (200228) -> (200307)
- Dragonhide Helm is now the only closed helmet with +3 max cast modifier.
- Bear traps, spike traps and spiked pits can now also cause dungeon fever.
- Added a new base game heritage to lower the chance of being infected by said traps.
February 28th, 2020
Change log 2.01 (200222) -> (200228)
- Added forced save after buying, selling, stashing or fetching of items.
- Added mouse motion cursor handling to buff/debuff icons and health bar.
February 22nd, 2020
Change log 2.01 (200220) -> (200222)
- Added some exceptions to heritages in heroic mode (tutorial, shirts, stash boxes).
- Fixed mouse item selection with Infinite Flask and Scribe's Tools.
February 19th, 2020
Change log 2.01 (200212) -> (200220)
- Fixed an indexing bug with blessed Arcane, Bestial and Abyssal tomes.
February 10th, 2020
Change log 2.01 (200116) -> (200212)
- Ranged weapons are now automatically equipped when looting if you have matching arrows equipped.
- Chat console can now be brought up with the mouse by clicking on the bottom left of the combat log.
- Inventory and loot windows should now have only one item cursor visible at a time.
- Enchant window now updates the loot tip window when shown.
- It's now possible to discard items with drag-and-drop when trading in town.
- Arcane spell learning should now work as it was intended (third time's the charm).
January 15th, 2020
Throwing away DLC beta keys...
So, if you remember being added in the game as a side quest or
encounter boss, throw some spam to support at epixx dot org and
you'll get to break the game early. It's been a while since the
original beta and I'm not sure if those emails work anymore.
The new bosses in the DLC are called Balthar (Beltar...), Ch'Ri
and Skaldir. Throw some spam or contact through Steam and I'll try
not to dismiss all.
January 10th, 2020
Another year, another video...
Happy New Year!
The release date for Rogue's Tale - The Hoard DLC is February 20, 2020
and here's a short video how to
unlock two of the five stash boxes that come in it.
Most players have already done this and they will have those two boxes
unlocked when they enter the town. This video is meant as a reminder
or tutorial how it can also be done (casual mode for the win).
It's the first narrated video I've ever made and unfortunately I
used a simple headset so sound quality may not be the best ever.