What is this website?
- This website is the closest thing to a roguelike game development
diary, or blog, I can think of. Personally I'm using this site
to document the game's rule system and progress as it develops.
What is a roguelike game?
take on the subject goes as follows:
The roguelike is a sub-genre of role-playing video games,
characterized by randomization for replayability, permanent death,
and turn-based movement. Many early roguelikes featured ASCII graphics.
Games are typically dungeon crawls, with many monsters, items, and environmental features. Computer roguelikes usually employ the majority of the keyboard to facilitate interaction with items and the environment. The name of the genre comes from the 1980 game Rogue.
ASCII graphics and keyboard?
- No worries, there will also be a mouse driven interface as well as some
graphics. There is some level of controller support as well (PS4 DualShock
Controller works on Win/Linux/Mac straight out of the box and others can
be used if you have drivers for them and you use the in-game calibration
tool to map the buttons).
What is the name of the game?
- Rogue's Tale
Where does the game take place?
- The game takes place in a place called Frostmourn Keep and its
underlying dungeons in the World's End Mountains.
What is the ultimate goal of the game?
- The goal is to overthrow the King of the Frostmourn Keep and
become the new King.
Is it going to be a multiplayer game?
- No, single player only.
What character classes will it have?
- There will be only one character class and that is the rogue. What kind
of character the rogue will be depends on the choices the player
makes along the way.
What choices might those be?
- At certain levels your character gains ability points as well as
talent points that will greatly affect his or hers chances of survival
in the hostile world.
What is the maximum level cap, if any?
- Level 20, during which the character will receive 6 talent gains,
7 ability gains and 6 health gains.
So do I need to register or something?
- No. If you play on the Epixx.org server you will have to create an
account (username and password). Note that the online account and all save
files related to that are stored on the server and the owner of the server
may do whatever he wants with his hard drive space (including deleting the
account for whatever reason).
How long has it been in development?
- On and off since Autumn 2009.
When was it released?
- December 31st, 2012. Steam release was in March 28, 2014.
What are the system requirements?
- Windows 7+/Linux/Mac OS 10.7+, a few year old gaming CPU and GPU
and Steam installed.
I'm poor and I like to steal games, will this game be free so I don't get bad karma?
- The old 1.15 version of the game is free but the newer 2.0 is not
and infernals may come to haunt you in your dreams if you pir8 it.