What is this website?
- This website is the closest thing to a roguelike game development
diary, or blog, I can think of. Personally I'm using this site
to document the game's rule system and progress as it develops.
What is a roguelike game?
take on the subject goes as follows:
The roguelike is a sub-genre of role-playing video games,
characterized by randomization for replayability, permanent death,
and turn-based movement. Many early roguelikes featured ASCII graphics.
Games are typically dungeon crawls, with many monsters, items, and environmental features. Computer roguelikes usually employ the majority of the keyboard to facilitate interaction with items and the environment. The name of the genre comes from the 1980 game Rogue.
ASCII graphics and keyboard?
- No worries, there will also be a mouse driven interface as well as some
What is the name of the game?
- Rogue's Tale
Where does the game take place?
- The game takes place in a place called Frostmourn Keep and its
underlying dungeons in the World's End Mountains.
What is the ultimate goal of the game?
- The goal is to overthrow the King of the Frostmourn Keep and
become the new King.
Is it going to be a multiplayer game?
- No, single player only.
What character classes will it have?
- There will be only one character class and that is the rogue. What kind
of character the rogue will be depends on the choices the player
makes along the way.
What choices might those be?
- At certain levels your character gains ability points as well as
talent points that will greatly affect his or hers chances of survival
in the hostile world.
What is the maximum level cap, if any?
- Level 20, during which the character will receive 6 talent gains,
7 ability gains and 6 health gains.
So do I need to register or something?
- No. You will however have to create an offline profile or an online
account in-game to store the save files. Offline profile is stored on
your own hard drive and online account is stored on the server you login
(and the owner of the server may do whatever he wants with his hard drive
space including deleting the account for whatever reason).
How long has it been in development?
- On and off since Autumn 2009.
When was it released?
- December 31st, 2012.
What are the system requirements?
- The game will be released as a Windows executable. Some kind of
hardware acceleration for graphics is required though (mini laptops
will do fine). Linux version is also possible in the future if this
game becomes commercial and I can afford to make one.
I'm poor and I like to steal games, will this game be free so I don't get bad karma?
- Full version of the game is not free and infernals may come to
haunt you in your dreams if you pir8 it.