Time flies by again...
No new videos this time. I've been working on rebalancing the main
quests and it takes some time when you have to play them through a
hundred times but at least it's not possible to one shot Gurmur anymore.
There's been a lot of power creep in the past updates and adding
four new pieces of armour does not help. Therefore bosses need to
become somewhat tougher and in Gurmur's case it meant gaining 33%
more strength and stamina and 220% more resistances.
Gurmur also got a new trick up its sleeve and I have a feeling that
all but the strongest of rogues will be crushed.
Anyway, at the moment I'm working on redoing the final battle and
once it is done, it's time to do some in-house testing before
preparing for the first round of public beta testing (for Windows version on Steam).
Well, the dungeon editor took
a little longer than I thought but now it can do a whole lot more than
it used to.
In the video you can see a small map being edited but now it's also
possible to create wide, tall and large maps. These new larger maps
made it necessary to come up with a new way to move the map around
while editing because dragging didn't quite do it anymore.
I used to manually edit the quest map files to place specific
creatures and set properties but now almost everything can be done
through the editor with a few right-clicks.
I also used to have some debug and test code that had to be manually
enabled while developing and disabled in the release. That code is now
part of the dungeon editor for everyone to use.
The best part is that now it's possible run the map in the editor
and make sure everything works as planned.
Time flies by...
But all client side Java code has been sharpened and things seem
to move forward pretty nicely. Here's
a short video of two of the new editors that will be included in the game.
The first one can be used to localize almost all text in the
game. The second one can be used to create new dialogues and or
localize existing dialogues. At the moment there's only 4000 lines
to translate plus however many lines there are in the dialogues so
it shouldn't take any time at all (yeah right).
The locale editor still needs a way to show new and modified strings
when a new version comes up and a way to merge existing locale files
but those don't require more than ~100 lines of code to do and dungeon
editor should be on the menu next week.
Happy new year...
Yeah, I'm a bit late to celebrate that but after making particle
effects for a few weeks and going through some 15000+ lines of AI
and game logic code, this is
where the game is at the moment.
There are still a lot of bugs and some old code to go through in
order to get the game to behave like it does on the live version
(I can spot about a dozen bugs in the video alone).
Anyway, once those are done, there are also some editors, server
changes, Steam integration and finally the new content to do.